Popular Posts

Sunday 17 April 2011

acoustic bass

acoustic bass

I bought an acoustic bass guitar with pickups some months ago. With the idea of living locally I walked to my closest  music store and paid off the only acoustic bass they had in the shop. All the time I was fairly confident that I was making a foolish purchase. I don't play the bass .... 
But isn't there something exciting about an acoustic bass? Big wooden body, thick black strings, the challenge of learning a new instrument. Sure I can't even play the bass line of musical notation, but I can learn. Thunk, thunk, thunk. Love that sound. 
In time I became more realistic. I'm not really going to learn the bass. I have my time cut out for me playing the guitar in a half decent fashion. So I determined to sell it. How would I word the ad.? Hmmm. I needed to research this instrument, to find some words.
You tube was helpful. Some clips of people playing it. A bass player in a ukelele band - a very good one - plays it. The bass player in the "The Cure" could clearly be seen playing it. A seller of fine old Renaissance Lutes in Germany often stocks and sells this type of acoustic bass. The price ? I couldn't tell. They were all sold. 
So, not a bad instrument, huh? Wildly popular in the late 1960s. Stopped producing them in 1987. And where can you buy them these days? Well, you may find one on e bay, if you're lucky. And this German dealer in Renaissance Lutes sometimes has one for sale. I have one in my home in regional Queensland, too. But I'm not sure I want to part with it, just yet....

No comments:

Post a Comment